First up a slanket! I was out shopping with the mini beast and she spotted a Disney Princess slanket. At 3 she is princess obsessed and was not taking no for an answer. I wasn't in the mood for an in store showdown, so I said she could buy it with her Christmas cash!
Of course as soon as the maxi beast saw it, she wanted one too! Having looked it over I thought, I can totally make that!
I rushed up to the wardrobe, found a heap of fleece and got to work. The slanket is basically a rectangle with a couple of rectangles sewn on for the arms.
Using the store bought one as a guide, I cut out a large fleece rectangle and overlocked all the way round. I then turned and sewed a 1.5 cm hem all the way around.
I simply cut two slits in the main body piece for the arm holes and then cut out the arms . i cut two pieces of the fleece that were double the size of the slit I cut plus a bit for a seam allowance x the length of the arms on the store bought slanket. I overlocked the hem of each arm and sewed them on to the main body of the slanket directly with the overlocker. I then turned up the sleeve hem, and top stitched it on the sewing machine.
90 minutes and much fluff on trousers and carpet = one slanket and one happy maxi beast
Sadly, I had somehow forgotten about the maxi beast's giant long legs and could probably have done with making it a bit longer, but for curling up on the sofa for movies and popcorn, it works just fine. And conveniently matches the colour of her Christmas pillow pet!
The midi beast wants one now so I am hopping over to the shop for some fleece in more manly hues, like this one in dark blue. (and its on sale right now, yay!)
Secondly, remember the pink velour ruffle bolero I blogged about here? Well I actually finished it! And the mini beast loves it.
I think I was scared to start it as I had struggled a little with my last knit fabric project which I also blogged about here. But this velour was a dream to sew up and the pattern from Heidi and Finn was really straight forward too.
As I was making a size 3, I did find attaching the sleeve to the shoulder for the lining a bit tricky as the curve is quite small and tight and yes, the seam ripper did come out for one arm (OK, twice I ripped it out!) so if your curved sewing skills need practice, as mine clearly do, use lots of pins and take it slow!
My new ruffler foot for my sewing machine is being mailed as I write. This purchase is a direct result of sewing this garment! I was gathering the velour ruffle the old fashioned way, pulling up the threads by hand, and the thread snapped half way through. Cry! I do have a gathering foot, but it did not like two layers of velour fabric. So I changed the thread in the sewing machine (mentally making a note not to use overlocker thread instead of nice thread when sewing as it is not as strong and breaks easily!) and ordered the ruffler foot.
Once gently gathered, attaching the ruffle was easy although I did use a lot of pins again as you can see! All the seams are hidden by the lining.
I did find the velour rolled a little so I sewed the lining in with the velour on the top and the lining underneath so I could unroll the edge of the velour as I went.
I used a lot of pins too and it all worked out fine. I held my breath as I turned it out through the armhole and then did a little dance!
I folded over the hem allowances on the sleeve as per the pattern and disliking the volume of fabric around the seam, I trimmed the seam allowances on the velour to reduce the bulk. I sewed on the button by hand and it was all finished.
I want to make this again, right now. It is seriously cute! I will have to make the next size up though, the mini beast is growing up fast! This pink one fits perfectly so it's a good job I did not wait any longer to make it up!
The velour comes in sea blue and green as well as the pink. Might make it in both!
Next up, cushions for my sister in law. I'm thinking Spring and linen......